Castello Sannazzaro is a still today a privately owned castle built after a decree given by the Holy German Roman Emperor Fredriech “Barbarossa” to four Sannazzaro knights in 1163 in which the Emperor was giving them the permission to build a castle wherever they wanted in their possessions. In 1303 the castle certainly existed as proved by written documents and it has always belonged to the Sannazzaro family ever since. Restored and modified in several periods, it was partly transformed in a country house in the 18th
century and further restored and redecorated according to the, at that time prevailing neo-gothic style in 1854-1857. [show more...]